1. Get your domestic
help's antecedents verified.
2. Give his/her photograph as well as address to the
nearest Police Station for verification.
3. Get his/her background verified from previous
4. Avoid giving access to his relatives and friends.
5. Avoid displaying jewellery and valuables in the
6. Fix grills on windows and glass panelled doors.
7. Don't allow any stranger to enter your house,
when you are alone without finding out his identity.
8. Beware of persons coming to your house under the
pretext of repairing/selling
9. Keep side doors pad locked and main door bolted.
Use slam-shut locks instead of pad locks. Install
magic eye and safety chains on doors.
10. Look through the magic eye and ensure the door
chain is secure before opening the door to a
11. Leave a light switched on when you go out of
town. Inform your neighbours about your absence from
your home for a long or short period.
12. Insure all valuable properties like Jewelry,
electric appliances etc.
13. Mark valuables with an identification number
like your Ration Card, Passport or
14. Install an alarm system and learn how to use it.
Monitor your alarm system and arrange for guard
response. Stow away ladders and stools.
15. Make your home appear lived in. Don't keep huge
amount of cash and ornaments in the house. Use bank
16. Don't sleep near an open window during the
17. Don't disturb the scene, if you notice theft in
your house, wait for the arrival of police otherwise
it will lead to tampering of evidence like
fingerprints, footprints etc. .
18. Don't wear heavy ornaments while travelling
19. Don't open your bag-containing valuable like
cash and ornaments, while travelling in public
20. Don't go alone with cash and jewellery during
21. Do not record a message on answering machine
telling people you are on holiday or away.